Okay! So, when my husband’s expensive, fine wool suit work pants wore away to a form a massive hole in areas where there should not be holes.. I thought ‘90% of this fabric is in perfect condition, what a waste it would be throw the pants out’.
So I got thinking about what could be done with the suit pants material. I unstitched both legs so I ended up with two sizeable pieces of fabric. I salvaged the silk, paisley waistband lining, all the buttons. Placing the two legs upside down on my dressmakers form, I realised that if cut the legs cleverly I would have enough fabric to make a pinafore.
Using a rough pattern of another dress, I cut two upper bodice yokes – front and back to get the neckline. This was taken from the hip area of the pants where the fabric was broad enough to fit a pattern piece, and added details of pockets that give an indication of what the fabric used to be.
Looking at the photos, I can see I really need to iron the dress – so apologies! However, once I had laid out the pants as the dress form, I added diagonal darts (took that idea from the 1960s vintage pattern). I cut the dress reasonably short, given that the fabric is quite conservative. Sewed it all up, lined the yoke.. and then put together a little belt from the salvaged waistline fabric. Voila! A pinafore from hubby’s old pants. (There is another pair of pants waiting in my sewing room to be converted into something… maybe a bodice..)
PS. The dress is super easy to wear, and breathable – they do make these suits out of lovely fabric!