It is now May 2013, and a good six months since I have blogged my sewings… and there have been a lot of sewings! I’ll endeavour to get back up to speed over the next few weeks.
I’ve been collecting Vintage patterns, remnant fabrics, and trying to reinvent my professional image. So, I’ll post my items, with a view to catching up on the last few months of notable projects, and then culminate in the much anticipated (by me) – 2013 LdJ Design Autumn/WInter Collection!!
But first things first. As for the previous few years, I did in fact enter the 2012 Tessuti Awards. This time I thought I had it all figured out.. I thought I’d finally worked out what the judges might have been after. Turned out I was wrong. Not shortlisted, again, and reviewing the designs that were shortlisted, was puzzled by what the judging criteria was. Anyhoo… I was really pleased within the result – so here it is!
The theme for 2012 was Spots and Stripes. Whilst researching the idea, I was very into vintage patterns and looks (and still am!) – and I came across this gorgeous image from the 1950s.
It is the image by Louise Dahl-Wolfe, of Mary Jane Russell in Dior Dress, Paris, 1950. When I saw the image, I fell in love with it. The way the skirt elegantly billowed out at the back, contrasted with the beautifully fitting bodice at the top.
The image itself is just stunning as well, so possibly no wonder I like it so much. I set about my designs with this in mind as inspiration.
The second thing that I strangely used as inspiration was the idea of a garlic bulb. I think that certainly came across in my initial sketches.
I originally wanted to create the dress in Green and White fabric, but the patterns below were only available in black, red and blue. So, I chose blue spots and red candy stripes.
The dress is comprised of a fitted boned, bodice – each boning line is contained within a French seam. The bodice points down into the skirt of the dress accentuating the boning component. The lower part of the dress has a gathered waistline (around 5m of fabric was used create the skirt), which tuck under into a more conservative skirt lining. This allows a double gathering at the bottom of the skirt and the top, hence creating a small billow effect. I did consider putting layers of tulle beneath the skirt to give it more puff, but decided against it…
I was very pleased with the fit in the end – the bodice fabric had a slight stretch to it, so it fitted extremely well. I was also pleased with the volume of the skirt.
Of course, now I can think of no occasion to wear it for.. so if you’d like to purchase the dress, please make an offer. :-)
PS. I’m on Instagram now too.. so if you’d like to keep up to date with my sewing happy snaps, you’ll see it first, and in progress there!